Integration of CSR into the Lower Austrian economic strategy 2015
Topic of the practice
Integration of the topic of Corporate Social Responsibility into the (political) economic strategy until the year 2015 through a broad stakeholder participation process
Good Practice Information
In 2009 a new regional minister was elected for the department of economy and the existing economic strategy ended. The head of strategy within the department, together with the new regional minister, started an process to develop a new economic strategy reaching until 2015.
The process included extensive stakeholder involvement and entrepreneurs voted to include CSR in the strategy. As part of
the official strategy (together with 5 other topics), resources have to be allocated and new projects/activities have to be developed within this topic.
Success factors in strategy development were:
- an open-minded politician
- enough time for the process (at least a year)
- entrepreneurs willing and interested to participate
- ongoing contact with entrepreneurs
The total budget was € 70.000.
Evidence of success
• Positive feedback by entrepreneurs (approximately 150 in total )
• Written strategy with defined objectives as a guideline for all activities (all new projects and activities planned have to fit the strategy)
• Many new CSR-related projects developed after anchoring the topic in the official strategy
• Positive economic development of Lower Austria (better than average Austrian GDP-growth)
Contact details to obtain further information on the practice
Lower Austrian Government, Department of Business, Tourism and Technology
Annex completed on: 06-12-2012