First Flemish Sustainable Public Procurement Action Plan
Topic of the practice
Through sustainable public procurement the Flemish authorities wish to promote sustainable consumption and production. The Flemish authorities are rightly expected to set a good example and to inspire and encourage other actors.
Good Practice Information
Flemish Authorities wish to achieve 100% sustainable public procurement by 2020.
The first action plan runs from 2009-11 and it injects new life into sustainable public procurement in a coordinated manner.
The draft action plan iis based on 6 action lines:
- Management Agreements
- Sustainable Public Procurement Task Force (formed by different policy areas, responsible for the procedure)
- Promoting use of supplies / reuse of materials
- Objectives and actions in product groups / research into supporting instruments
- Social considerations
- Communication, awareness-raising and guidance
The direct target group is public purchasers; this includes SME’s
The process requires dialogue with stakeholders: Flemish departments, NGOs, unions, professional organisations, local government.
Evidence of success
• Mapping the current situation for setting up monitoring
• More awareness of sustainable procurement by the achievers
• Development of tools helping the purchasers (helpdesk, templates, guidebook)
• Strong political signal
• Exemplary role with respect to citizens, companies and local authorities
• Stakeholders dialogues
Contact details to obtain further information on the practice
Annex completed on: 06-12-2012