Mapping of land for multiple use
Topic of the practice
Land use and fuel model cartography
Good Practice Information
The mapping of land for multiple use is the basis for mapping in the Municipal Plan for the Protection of Forest Fire, the priority areas for fuel management and maintenance of infrastructure of defence against fire. The essential features on which this model is based are:
- Description of the occupation of land, according to two categories: bush and tree;
- It is admitted the possibility of coexistence of up to three species in each stratum;
- It is quantified (in %) the degree of coverage of each species in its stratum;
- Use a very detailed legend of species of land occupation and adapted to local conditions studied;
The system is used to plan and management of forest fires and fire prevention. The database built in this way can produce several maps with application to many fields and to ensure consistency mapping.
From the characterization of land cover, in which is made in the characterization of fuels models, the slopes and exhibits dominant, it is possible to calculate the fire hazard. The hazard associated with the potential damage gives rise to the map of fire risk. It is made a regular updating of those maps, especially monitoring areas with changing land use.
The systems needs to link to satellite images and requires a good field work. The system runs on a GIS software and improve the interconnection of GIS with other municipal information systems
Cost: 2,42€/ha; Time: 9 months
Evidence of success
This system was implemented in many municipalities in Portugal and has produced good results on the forest planning and defense actions against forest fire. Since the implementation of this system, Batalha Municipality has used it to obtain several maps and land use evaluations. The main results where:
- Information and cartography to the Municipal Master Plan and to the Forest Fire Defence Municipal Plan;
- Evaluation of the forest fire hazard and risk;
- Identification of strategic places to invest in new infrastructures;
- Identification of locations for implementation of funding projects such as the AGRIS and the PRODER;
- Support to decision-making during fire-fighting events in the Municipality, just like the fire in 2007.
Contact details to obtain further information on the practice
Annex completed on: 04-02-2012