Topic of the practice
A consistent support in European Networking not only allows regional enterprises to get in touch with similar European networks and to get easier access to funds but also provides an opportunity to influence European politics.
Good Practice Information
Different WRS departments are running European projects and are involved in European networks, thereby also promoting the Clusters initiatives of Stuttgart Region and giving them access to European networks. This way participation in European networks provides regional networks access to other regional networks working in the same fields of technology. The service is also supported by the Stuttgart Region European Office in Brussels which is part of the networking activities.
WRS staff assists networks and companies aiming to get involved in European projects as a first contact point and by giving a first overview on European programmes and calls. Some European projects also allow WRS to involve the CIs or give them the chance to apply for sub-projects with partners from other European regions. Some European projects also give WRS the chance to financially support the development of new services that can be provided by cIusters.
On the policy level, WRS together with the European Office and the Stuttgart Region participates in expert groups for the conceptual design and preparation of future EU programmes, especially in INTERREG. WRS tries to represent the interest of its regional cluster initiatives and the economic players. Moreover, WRS invites representatives of the European commission and other European bodies to present new policies and programmes that will affect the regional companies and research actors.. European Networking allows Clusters to get an access to European partners and funds. The member companies of Cluster initiatives take advantage of European contacts, and CIuster initiatives succeed to offer added value for their members. The region profits from international activities, which stimulates innovation activities and promotes new ideas.
Evidence of success
CIusters and their members need to be open for new project ideas and have capacity to work on additional projects
Constant exchange of information between development agencies, Clusters and its members.
• More than 50 events have been organized by the VRS and WRS together with the Brussels Office
• In 2004 the Stuttgart Region has been host to the Fourth European Forum for Innovative Enterprises
• The second edition of the Competence Directory Europe published in 2011 shows the relevance of the work for Europe
• In the last 11 years the VRS and WRS were able to acquire more than 15 mn Euros of funding money for the Stuttgart Region
• The Region itself participated in more than 50 projects. Within those projects the Region cooperated with more than 500 cities, regions, institutions, enterprises and research organisations in Europe
• The European metropolitan regions and areas have joined forces in METREX (The Network of European Metropolitan Regions and Areas)
Contact details to obtain further information on the practice
Wirtschaftsförderung Region Stuttgart GmbH
Annex completed on: 03-07-2012