Funding of participation at foreign trade fairs
Topic of the practice
The participation in foreign fairs is an important marketing and communication instrument. Participations in foreign fairs mean high burdens, especially for SMEs, which cannot afford participations on their own, booth rent, booth construction, exhibits, translators, transport and personnel, for example.
Good Practice Information
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment of Saxony-Anhalt.
Funded by ERDF (Operational Programme for Saxony-Anhalt).
Type of beneficiaries:
SMEs located in Saxony-Anhalt in the field of manufactoring industry or craft; There are no specific selection criteria for selecting the SMEs, but there is a list with eligible traide fairs. Futhermore the ministry can made decisions on a case-by-case basis.
Saxony-Anhalt supports SMEs to attend a foreign trade fair. For instance the space rate, the catalogue entry, printing and translations costs for information material and travel costs relative to the respective trade fair are eligible. The maximum intervention rate according the aid scheme is 60 %. The maximal amount of the granted subsidy is 9,000 Euro. Support granted only on the basis of subsidy lists for trade fairs that need to be approved by federal and state government.
Support of trade fairs is limited to three applications per company per year. Other support possibilities that are available have to be applied prior (e.g. support from federal government).
Process of application/approval/payment:
1. handing in application form for funding at Investitionsbank Sacchsen-Anhalt,
2. after receiving of application – check for completeness of records / information which were / was handed in → confirmation of receipt of application and, if necessary, ask for records,
3. when applied for - permission for early project start,
4. elaboration of decision memo (Investitionsbank),
5. after approval by decision maker (currently also Investitionsbank) – set up of approval letter,
6. if approval letter is legally binding and payment requirements are fulfilled, Investitionsbank can pay the funds
- duration from handling, if the application form is complete (permission for early project start), to approval – average of 1 week.
Evidence of success
This is a good example of how to support SMEs to develop their international market.
Number of supported companies: 2007: 24, 2008: 36, 2009: 31 Amount of subsidy: 2007: 117 thousand Euros, 2008: 137 thousand Euros, 2009: 184 thousand Euros
Contact details to obtain further information on the practice