Barcelos nos seus dedos (Barcelos with your fingers)
Topic of the practice
Advanced municipal and local services
Good Practice Information
The application "Barcelos with your fingers" was created internally by the Municipality of Barcelos. It aims at answering two paradigms: technology and information.
The main objectives are:
1. Organize, systematize, adapt and simplify the information (design and alphanumeric type) to be used in GIS
2. Turn all the information generated into a visually attractive information, tailored to different bases of spatial referencing and fully searchable by the civil society
3. Make that information usable in real time, setting and serving as a facilitator for the spatial planning of the territory. Citizens have at their disposal all the touristic offer, facilities and major municipal infrastructure in real time, such as: restaurants, museums, hotels, places of entertainment, community facilities and services, etc.
In addition to research, consultation and online interaction (from the website of the Municipality of Barcelos), you can download all this information to your usual GPS, and use all the information in real time and scenario. The computer application and its database are housed on the servers of the Municipality of Barcelos and accessible to citizens from the website of the municipality of Barcelos. The data is managed and updated internally through intranet and, after tested and validated, is available from the website. This methodology aims to safeguard the accuracy of the data, but also avoids possible external alterations. The technology used was mostly open source. The process of information transformation is the innovative aspect. This process received an Invention Patent INPI (National Institute of Industrial Property) - Patent No. 10281, published on August 19, 2008. Implementation costs: € 0 - 15,000.
Evidence of success
The main visible results of this application are:
- About 40,000 people have visited, researched and accessed the web page
- The national invention patent No. 10,281, assigned by INPI
- The report in a leading Portuguese television channel SIC, on Feb. 15, 2009 – link:
- Cities National Award for Excellence 2009 in the Innovation Category
Contact details to obtain further information on the practice
Municipality of Barcelos
Annex completed on: 07-08-2011