Municipal service vouchers
Topic of the practice
A service voucher is a financial instrument which allows a public authority to target social services on those in need. A service paid by the vouchers is a service that the municipality basically provides. The municipality makes the decision on adopting service vouchers and approves the external service providers which are entitled to accept payments with municipal service vouchers.
Good Practice Information
- create markets for private services;
- increase customer freedom - can choose between service providers;
- help municipalities to provide services, as customers can also use private sector services for their needs,
- decrease costs of the municipalities in some cases
- makes delivery of (municipal) service easier, as no procurement is needed in every individual case.
City of Jyvaskylä decides which of its services can be organized with vouchers. The vouchers can be used for example for the following services: temporary help in homes for families with children or home nursing, support services for seniors and in long-term illness, child health and therapy services as the production of the social/health services in Finland is a responsibility of municipalities.
Evidence of success
The process follows the triple helix system
• City of Jyväskylä is the enabler of service production.
• Private sector companies are service providers for citizens.
• Citizen/user is the beneficiary of the service.
Electronic service voucher system has been co-developed together with the City of Jyväskylä, Jyväskylä Regional Development Company Jykes Ltd and a private company Smartum Ltd.
Contact details to obtain further information on the practice
City of Jyvaskylä
Annex completed on: 04-02-2013