Coastal Flooding Decision Support Systems
Topic of the practice
Flood risk management
Good Practice Information
The extreme weather events increase, and frequent local storms in winter, heat waves in summer will affect the main sectors in Bulgarian coastal zone. About 45% of coastal zone (areas around of Varna , Primorsko, Sarafovo & Shabla) is currently subject to erosion, caused by overconstruction & extreme events. The Coastal Flooding Decision Support Systems (DSS) is a tool that suggests appropriate coastal flood management, based on assessment of the environmental risk, including:
- flood mapping and flood risk assessment
- coastal structure overtopping/damage assessment
- environmental impact assessment
The DS System is based on application of state of the art numerical simulation software for coastal hydrodynamics, simulation of waves & currents, and sediment transport modelling.
The DS System is now proposed to be used as a tool to suggest coastal flooding management plans for a number of populated places at the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast. The DSS is transferable to support solutions in areas with similar problems.
Evidence of success
The DSS has been successfully applied in engineering practice:
1. Studies of water balance in order to provide better water management in suburban and urban areas, prevention of severe flooding, better water use and prevention bathing water from pollution - Varna Municipality (September 2011 - March 2012).
2. Preliminary assessment of the risk of flooding for developed schemes with construction of dams in the catchment area of the Mesta River - University of Architecture, Construction and Geodesy, Sofia (Stage 1: December 2010 - September 2011 - Stage 2: December 2011 - September 2012)
3. Evaluation the effectiveness of an artificial protective coastal reef - Black Sea Coastal Association - Varna (subcontractor 7 FP of ЕU) (October 2008 - September 2011).
Contact details to obtain further information on the practice
CORES Ltd., Varna
Annex completed on: 07-08-2011