Engagement With Local Communities
Topic of the practice
Broadband demand stimulation
Good Practice Information
Good practice to:
• Raise awareness of Kent County Council’s broadband programme (Connecting Kent) with local broadband groups and activists, to provide a single point of contact to share good practice between groups and provide support to individual groups.
• Engaging directly with local groups in areas of broadband market failure to support local action to attract investment in infrastructure.
Support consists of production of specific data from the observatory to highlight the local needs, running tender processes on their behalf, providing technical expertise to assisting evaluating propositions, and attendance at local authority meetings to promote political engagement.
Evidence of success
• Local engagement in addressing broadband issues ensures local acceptance and take up of services.
• Seventeen communities with 9,868 households and 1,154 businesses, the majority of these in rural areas, have directly benefited.
• A bank of knowledge has been developed on how to deal with ‘not spots’, from documenting the current status to ensuring that the chosen solution is sustainable.
Contact details to obtain further information on the practice
Kent County Council
Annex completed on: 06-18-2014