Topic of the practice
Local service centre for a social and cooperative economy, which aims to promote new lifestyles and consumption patterns that make the present and future of the local community more sustainable and eco-friendly. The market promotes local (short) food chains and thus „responsible“ consumption by facilitating more change towards virtuous behaviour.
Good Practice Information
BuonMercato is both an association (of citizens, farmers, stakeholders & local institutions) & a physical market/ point of organic food distribution, undertaken with the collaboration of Corsico municipality and DESR.
DESR aims at the preservation and redevelopment of the South Milan Agricultural Park and its agriculture. The park includes 47,000 acres of fields, 61 municipalities
&almost a 1.000 agricultural holdings.BuonMercato provides a booking service&delivery of food (+other products) inspired by principles of enhancing high quality local production,promoting sustainable consumption, land conservation, ethical and responsible relations.Further,the association organizes many other initiatives,e.g. tastings&meetings with producers,seminars,workshops for self-production.
Evidence of success
- Large network of consumers and farmers
- ensuring a stable demand, the number of buyers organized in ethical purchase groups
- Integration between “food market” aspects&“general sustainability” goals
- Cultural association whose members are made aware of the wider aspects of protection&enhancement of the environment
- Quality of the marketplace itself and to the simple & user-oriented web portal
Contact details to obtain further information on the practice
Dario Ballardini, Sergio Graffeo, Andrea Villa, Davide Biolghini
Annex completed on: 09-25-2014